Tecmo Bowl is a 1987 American football video game developed and published by Tecmo for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). It was one of the earliest football video games to feature digitized player sprites, and it is credited with popularizing the side-scrolling football genre.
The game features all 28 NFL teams of the 1987 season, as well as a fictional team called the “Tecmo Bowlers”. Players can choose to play a single game, a season, or a playoff tournament.
The game controls are simple but effective. On offense, players use the A button to snap the ball and the B button to pass. The player can also use the directional pad to move the quarterback and the receivers. On defense, players use the A button to tackle and the B button to dive.
Here is a more detailed breakdown of the game controls:
- A button: Snap the ball
- B button: Pass
- Up/Down directional pad: Move the quarterback
- Left/Right directional pad: Move the receivers
- A button: Tackle
- B button: Dive
- Up/Down directional pad: Move the defenders
- Left/Right directional pad: Switch defenders
To play Tecmo Bowl, players choose a team and then select a play from the playbook. The play is then executed on the field, with the player controlling the quarterback and the receivers on offense, and the defenders on defense.
The object of the game is to score more points than the opposing team. Points can be scored by running or passing the ball into the end zone, or by kicking a field goal.
Tecmo Bowl is a fast-paced and arcade-style football game that is easy to learn but difficult to master. It is a classic game that is still enjoyed by fans of football and retro gaming today.
Here are some additional tips for playing Tecmo Bowl:
- Use the speed burst to get past defenders.
- Pass to the open receiver.
- Don’t be afraid to run the ball.
- Tackle the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage.
- Use the dive tackle to stop the runner in his tracks.
- Kick field goals when you’re in range.
With a little practice, you’ll be scoring touchdowns and winning games in no time!